Independent Livings facilitate a group of adults living together as a family, and provide a safe affordable home for people in Alameda County. Each home is as individual as the people who live in them.
The ILA Quality Standards, including the attributes and indicators outlined below were developed and approved by the Alameda County Independent Living Association Work Team and are recommended as best practices for Independent Livings. ILA Members must adhere to all of the ILA Quality Standards listed below.
Eight attributes of a quality Independent Living residence:
1. Clean, safe and well maintained housing;
2. A clear written statement of policies is explained and made available to residents prior to lease signing;
3. Clear grievance procedures and opportunities for residents to positively influence their environment and remove unhealthy influences;
4. An environment that respects the privacy of the residents;
5. An environment free of any type of abuse or discrimination that requires all residents to be treated with dignity, consideration and respect at all times;
6. Concerned and competent Operators and Resident Assistants;
7. Clearly outlined amenities that are consistently and fairly made available to all residents;
8. A resident focused living environment.